Monday, March 24, 2014

Feeling Feverish - MUSEUM NIGHT FEVERISH!

Wow what a month it has been!
I'm kind of backtracking on my blog posts to catch up with all the pretty cool things that have been going on in this area!
On Saturday, February 22nd, I was part of my first ever Museum Night Fever here in Brussels. 
During that evening, 24 museums open their doors late to allow guests to see what Brussels is truly like - at night. Over the six hour window, you can choose what museums you get to see from the list that are taking part in the festivities! 
We made it to eight (I think) in all, just because there was so much to see in the ones that we truly wanted to make it to! I'll post a little bit about a few of the museums and a couple of pictures from the exhibits!

Our starting point was in the Museum of the City of Brussels, which is located in the Grand Place Square. 
The highlights of this museum were all of the different costumes that the Mannekin-Pis is dressed in. There is literally one for almost every country and profession from around the world!

Here is me posing with the Mannekin in his Search and Rescue costume:


And him impersonating Elvis:

And finally, they even had a blind Mannekin with his seeing eye dog!

From the Museum of the City of Brussels, Zach, Savannah and I went to the Opera House, which was filled with a fantastic light show in the theater and then we decided it was time for a waffle. 
This is one of my favorite quotes that I have encountered since I have been in Europe and it was written on sheet music in the Opera House and visible under blacklight - pretty cool!

"Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous"


For some reason the video won't work here of the light show, so here's the second best part of that journey - MY WAFFLE.

From the Opera House, we went to the Comic Strip Museum and saw a Dutch version of a comic done in live performance. Brussels is also where the Smurfs and The Spirit are from, each of which have a presence in the Comic Museum. 


The Comic Museum could have easily taken up a couple of hours, but we decided to leave to make sure we saw as much as possible during that once a year event, so we headed to the ING Cultural Center- which didn't let you take pictures inside - but had a pointillism exhibit. 
Since there were no pictures taken at ING - our next stop was the Coudenberg - the Former Palace of Brussels from the 12th to the 18th century, which was filled with ancient ruins and underground tunnels!




After seeing the former palace, we decided to make our way to the last museum that we would make it to - Museum of Natural Science, which led us through an exhibit on the dinosaurs, as well as side shows on living creatures in their habitat.






After this museum, with it almost 1 AM, it meant that we could go check out the after party - which ran from 1 - 6 AM (Everyone who knows me, knows I don't stay out late - I value my sleep too much), however with this being a once in a lifetime, we went to see what it was like. There were five rooms full of different music and dancing - in what was pretty much an old warehouse. Needless to say, it looked pretty cool, but we left after about 20 minutes of seeing what it was about. 
I'm trying to do some catching up on blogging this week before I crank out a midterm paper and get to meet my wonderful parents in Paris in just under two weeks! Hopefully I will be caught up before we do Paris, London, Rome and Venice over Spring Break! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment